Saturday, June 10, 2006

Joys of Technology










In the Fall of 1996 just ten years ago, during a tutorial with the late Carl Mills, I shared my consternation that the UC library had no card catalogue. Very patiently, this distinguished linguist taught me to use an online library. Then he asked if I had any other questions. Furtively I responded, "What's email?"

So much has changed. About half the stuff I'm taking to China is electronic technology. A laptop, a projector, a digital camera, and all the peripherals. Today, Joe and I practiced Google Talking to each other, and tomorrow afternoon I have a Googledate with Ben. I've succeeded in making our phone ring using Yahoo Messenger. For someone my age, technology is something of a foreign language. I was totally clueless during the faculty "leadership" technology course I took in 2003. But now I wonder how I taught without electronic technology. It's a language. And as with other languages, you learn it when you need it.

2 comments:

Ruth W. said...

I wish you well Roz, and I know you are probably having many second thoughts, but it takes a special person to bring education to others, and you are one of those special people. I will be looking forward to reading your blogs, and I also will be learning because of it. Remember, you are traveling with God.

Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...