Friday, June 09, 2006

Luggage Limits


















Who would have thought? The Chinese have rather different ideas about luggage limits from ours. On a Chinese airline, travelers are restricted to one suitcase of modest dimensions, and its weight may not exceed 40 lbs. In addition, the traveler is permitted one carry on bag, not to exceed 11 lbs. My nifty combination laptop and data projector combo, for which I purchased a wonderful rolling case , weighs over 15 lbs. Language teachers live by their pictures. I can't give up my data projector-- how else am I going to show the students pictures?

Solution: Half my suitcase is devoted to the data projector. The laptop goes in a lightweight canvas bag, and that's my carry-on. Ship the dictionaries I was planning to take via priority parcel post. What about clothes? I'm taking the minimum. Guess I'll be doing lots of laundry.

3 comments:

Dennis and Marie said...

I do hope you have room for your digital camera. I want to see lots of pictures!

Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Roz,
I don't think you ever heard my talk about growing up in England. I hated playing soccer, mainly because I was terrible at it AND I had to have new soccer boots each year for school as my feet kept growing. Sounds simple, except my folks were poor, so, since my Birthday was in October and I needed new boots in September I received an early Birthday present of soccer boots for my Birthday each year for about 5 years!!!!! Once I left school I was able to become a supporter and never played again!
Dennis
PS I sent this to your Email address but receive an automated message about going to China!!!

Roz Raymond Gann said...

The camera is packed, and you may look for pictures on the blog almost immediately. That's part of why I wanted to do a blog-- many email servers (if that's the right term) have rigid limits on mailbox sizes. A few high pixel pictures can clog a person's mailbox. My kids complained of this vociferously when I sent them a number of pictures from Mexico.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...