Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Talismans



How do you get ready to travel halfway around the world? The journey is of epic proportions, even if made in the relative comfort of a jumbo jet. The operative term is relative. In an email today, Dr. Steve Gross, who is in China now, informed me the trip is horrible.





A couple of friends have given me keychains intended to protect a person going that far away. Charlotte Pubal gave me a medal with St. Anthony on one side and St. Christopher on the other. Both saints are said to protect travelers, and St. Anthony is supposed to help you find lost objects as well. Jewish by birth and Methodist by choice, I know nothing about saints; yet I am touched by my friend's wish to protect me, and I will carry the medal.

Amy Govett a science educator with whom I work, has a different approach: carrying an object that addresses all contingencies. This list little gizmo which is part compass, part outdoor thermometer, and part magnifying glass has a whistle at its apex which the bearer may blow should she find herself in danger.

4 comments:

Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Roz,
I am sure with these two items you will have a safe trip and soon be back home. We will miss you!
Dennis & Marie

Roz Raymond Gann said...

Miss you too!

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...