Monday, June 12, 2006

In Transit















In the past month, I'd made so many preparations for this trip that I passed from excited anticipation to obsessive boredom. At last, I'm on my way. The Detroit Airport is very cosmopolitan. Travelers who loiter in the coffee shops on layover speak Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, and Indian languages which I do not recognize. A beautiful red monorail whizzes back and forth. The picture doesn't do it justice.

In an unfamiliar airport, it takes awhile to get one's bearings. I'm carrying a compact but heavy backpack and a "lightweight" computer, its case made bulky by all the peripherals and CD's I've stuffed in the bag. I hate to put these things down, even for an instant as the items they contain are essential and expensive. It was a challenge signing on to the Internet-- the airport system is not user friendly. Tokyo is the next stop on my itinerary. Negotiating airports does not get easier when one does not know the language, so the two hour layover in Japan should be an adventure.

The Beijing hotel where I overnight has confirmed pickup as has the director of the school where I'll be working.

3 comments:

Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Roz,
glad to see that you at least got to Detroit without much trouble. I think you did very well to get online in the airport. Isn't modern technology fun!

Dennis and Marie said...

Hi Roz,
Just wanted to let you know that we are thinking of you, praying that you arrived safely, and are catching up on your sleep. Hope to see an update soon.
Love,
Dennis & Marie

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...