Saturday, August 19, 2006

Perspective















China, to which I soon return, is not an open society. Freedoms of speech, self-expression, and travel are distinctly limited. People ask me why I do not discuss this on my blog. It is because I come to China as a teacher and guest. Criticizing their system is not my job and doing so might interfere with my purpose. In this blog, I focus on cultural practices and daily life. At times, I allude to China's political climate, but I not in depth. I come as a linguist and teacher.

Above: a street musician in Suzho. Below: child on a scooter in the public square.

5 comments:

Dennis and Marie said...

I think your blog, so full of interesting information about day to day life in china and their beautiful builds etc.,would be spoiled by political discussion. I can't wait to see the different China that your next visit will show. Wonderful job Roz.
Dennis

quig said...

Hi Roz - I think it is best if we let the Pete Seeger's of the world handle the political
commentary. "Rainbow Race" comes to mind right now......... Peace to you on your journey. john

Ruth W. said...

there has been way to much disussion about politics, it's just a relief to hear about people and their lives. Thanks Roz

Ruth W. said...

Hi Roz..when do you go back, and where abouts in China this time? I have a bad memory, can't remember..lol

Unknown said...

Roz, I bet you have an opinion on all the stuff but you choose not to discuss it. After 12 years of living in the USA I also have my opinions on all kinds of things that have to do with the USA--some positive and some negative--and I think there is nothing wrong with having an opinion. I bet you would agree with me. However, I choose carefully whom I will disclose my views to. I could not possibly function without having someone I could not share with the joys and limitations of being a foreigner in the USA.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...