Thursday, August 17, 2006

Stranger















Major religions have admonitions on the treatment of strangers. It's because outsiders are so vulnerable to exploitation. When I visited New York this past week, I wore a sun hat and carried a back pack, and I didn't look like a native.

At La Guardia Airport, a taxi driver from a non-registered company offered to drive me to my hotel in midtown for 50 bucks. It should cost 30 dollars at the very most and with a generous tip!

In large population centers, there are always individuals seeking to make money off unsuspecting newcomers. The Beijing Airport is notorious for this. Every American I know was ripped off in some way on first arrival. Religions have rules on treatment of strangers because we make such tempting targets.

Above: With my hat and backpack, I pose at the Simon Wiesenthal Tolerance Center, which does diversity training for various groups. Below: legitimate taxis in midtown Manhattan.

No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...