Monday, August 28, 2006

Getting to China

Getting to China is never that simple. It's too long a trip. Last time, you will recall, I managed to get to the wrong city, due to a mixup in translating Chinese characters to English letters. This time the weather was foul. I nearly missed one flight and also spent half a day in the Beijing Airport waiting for the fog to lift.

The Weihai campus is large and quite lovely. My quarters are in a residence for visiting faculty, and the apartment is quite spacious. There's a dining hall which featuring inexpensive Chinese institutional food, which is a new experience. I have 24 hour Internet in my room, though it took some doing to get it hooked up. There is even a small washing machine in the bathroom, though I'm not very good at using it yet, as the instructions are in Chinese.

Incidentally, I can see your comments now-- a Nanjing friend found a way around the "Great Firewall of China." However, there seems to be a problem currently in posting pictures using this server. I'm going to try again in the morning. Sometimes there are glitches when you try doing it from here.

1 comment:

Ruth W. said...

so glad you had a safe trip Roz..looking forward to your blogs.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...