Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Going Back!

I'd expected to return to China last summer, but the offer fell through.  I presumed the problem was my retired status coupled with what was considered my advanced age.  Though I still teach part time, I am older than the People's Republic of China-- I was born in 1948.The Chinese are skeptical about the ability of older people to work. When I was invited to University Shandong at Weihai this year, administrators  inquired if there was a mistake in my birthdate. I assured them there wasn't, but since I'd worked for them before, they knew what I could do.  I'll be teaching American English.

Chinese women are required to retire at age 55.  Though Senior citizens are deeply respected in China, many are subject to a disorder called 'post-retirement depression.'

Below: The map of China and a banned political cartoon. Note the birth date.



 

No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...