Sunday, June 19, 2011

To blog or not to blog... And what about Facebook?


A good friend suggested that instead of doing a blog about China, I post to Facebook. "I think you'll get more readers that way."  He may have been right, but I did not find the prospect appealing and ultimately rejected it.

I don't Facebook much, though I look at the pictures of grandkids my daughter posts on the network, and I  respond when I'm "friended."  My vision issues make using Facebook uncomfortable, and in my opinion, the word limit placed upon entries forces oversimplification and superficiality.  I don't like texting for much the for the same reason, though I do it at times.  Call me a dinosaur.
But past a certain point, we cannot swim against the tide of  our culture, and for better or worse, social networking sites are part of the way we do things.  So I did consider doing a Facebook page instead of a blog.  The word limit on Facebook was the deciding factor.  I prefer writing essays to captions.  Facebook and blogspot are linked, so my Facebook friends can follow this blog if they want to.

Our plane departs at 5:30 tomorrow morning.  In all likelihood, I will be unable to view either Facebook or this blog when I'm over in China.  Dennis Cope will posting my entries.

No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...