Saturday, June 25, 2011

Hazards of Culture Shock

 
As often as I've been to China, I am not immune to culture shock, which is defined as "the feeling of disorientation experienced by someone who is suddenly subjected to an unfamiliar culture (dictionary.com). In this state, we're apt to feel helpless and not solve ordinary problems like tracking down luggage efficiently. This is because our normal problem solving skills are all directed toward navigating the host culture.
 
It was not until this morning that I realized I could speak to a United Airlines representative about Joe's lost bag.  I'd been talking to my daughter and family via SKYPE.  It was lovely to hear their voices. Suddenly, I remembered SKYPE could be used to contact any phone number in the world.  Turns out United's lost baggage department runs out of India! (no comment). The official I spoke to told us Joe's luggage arrived at the Weihai airport yesterday. Someone might have called. We are going over to claim it this morning after the service at Weihai's one church.  Let's hope it's actually there. 

No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...