Sunday, April 01, 2007

A Question of Rank















China is an extremely formal society where, in our minds at least, there is hyperconsiousness of rank. Workers' uniforms differ depending on their level in a hierarchy, and uniforms are ubiquitous. They mark rank. Perks go with rank. A university will send a chauffered car for guests coming to a party two blocks away. On this last trip to China, we were each in rooms or suites large enough for several people. The Dean's was always the biggest. At formal meals, our hosts were particular about where we sat. Tables were round, but Hal Knight always sat next to the 'first host.' The hosts were ranked: first host, second host, third host, and so forth. Each had specific responsibilities such as proposing toasts at particular times. Once I was informed I was the "fourth guest": the Dean being first, followed by Drs. Chen and Rhoton. To an assistant professor traveling with senior faculty, this sounded needlessly blunt for my culture glosses over differences in status. But the Chinese official who offering this information intended no offense. It's a different attitude toward rank-- the Chinese are out front about it; we like to keep it in the background.

Americans observe rank too, even though we use first names with superiors and wear uniforms less than the Chinese. Our social occasions are marked by less formality. But we still have rules, and informality can be confusing to those who do not know them. My undergraduates learn that superiors one calls by first name still write evaluations.

In a recent comment, my friend and fellow blogger Ruth, asked which I think better-- formality or informality. There are advantages to both. Formality makes relationships clear. Informality may promote closeness and teamwork. Whether we are more or less formal is not entirely personal choice. Such things are part of culture, and it is best to respect the context we're in. Our university is located in the mountain South, a region characterized by deference and politeness. I used to ask students to call me "Roz," for to me informality seems natural. When I saw how nervous this made many of them, I became more willing to be addressed by title. But at the university where I was trained, most professors went by first names except when presenting at conferences.

Above: An elegant restaurant set for a formal dinner.
Below: The servers at this restaurant wear several different uniforms, each connoting a specific rank. The ball shaped item brought by the server in blue is a sweet dessert which is sliced and eaten in wafer-like sections.




5 comments:

quig said...

I give my students the choice - I tell them I was John first, Mr. Quigley second, Dr. Quilgey third, and hey you all the time.... they have to decide what to call me...

quig said...

Of course it is always helpful if you can spell your own name correctly!!!!!!!!!!!

Ruth W. said...

lololol...yes John, it would, wouldn't it. Oh John, you make me laugh..this is a good thing.

Now, I guess I've forgotten to say, whenever I meet these Drs. at a happy hour..by all means, it's first names only...they are on my grounds now.. :)

JR's Thumbprints said...

I'm afraid my disregard for rank has gotten me into trouble on occasion. Not much on formalities either.

Unknown said...

Roz, what an incredible topic I would love to talk to you about more. I think the formality is safer. Sometimes, I think calling you "Dr. Gann" would be so much more clear because that is my culture but on the other hand I am not the rebellious 20-year old anymore.....just a rebellious 33-year old.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...