Saturday, March 31, 2007

Easier than you think
















Many comments speak wistfully of the wish to go to China. It actually isn't that hard-- if you want to teach or share other technical skills. China, at this time is open to the West and very hospitable to those of us who come. I prefer the extended trip where I work to a fast paced tour where I just see a bunch of monuments. Such excursions cost less, but theys are possible only at certain times of life, for it's hard to arrange a long stay abroad while raising a family. Some people do it, though. Working in another culture takes a willingness to step outside one's comfort zone, but deciding to do this is a choice we make. While I enjoy Chinese history and monuments, I like everday China more.

If you're interested in teaching abroad, be in touch: rrgann@gmail.com

Scenes from everyday China
Above: Man using traditional scale.
Below: Shoppers in a Jinan supermarket

No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...