Monday, September 04, 2006

Where two or three are gathered















I'd been hoping to find a worship community, both because I'd been feeling lonely and I'd been missing my home church, Cherokee United Methodist in Johnson City. On Sunday, one of my fellow teachers, a lady from New Zealand who's been here several years, invited me to the house church she attends. Call it an answered prayer. We read the Bible, prayed,sang, had a discussion, ate a light breakfast. We we're a multi-national group-- from China, Canada, the U.S., New Zealand, Australia. We are also theologically diverse. While a few of us are from middle of Most of the regulars are evangelical fundametntalists, and I think it's obvious that I'm a dyed-in-the wool liberal. Back home, I'm sorry to say, we would not be worshipping together. But here in China, it doesn't matter. We are strangers in a strange land, bound together by a tradition we understand in differnt ways. And we form a faith community.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is so true!!! I can totally imagine that. There is no way I would worship with fundamentalists in the USA but would be happy to have them as friends and worship community in another country.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...