Monday, September 04, 2006

New arrivals















Another two teachers have arrived from Tennessee-- Alyssa Chamberlain, a recent ETSU graduate, and Neal Palmer, who just completed his BA at Vanderbilt. I'm trying not to crowd them with concern-- don't want to be "matronizing." Ben and Mike Gann, and their married sister, Emily Heidt will tell you how annoying I am when my motherly protectiveness kicks in.


Alyssa and Neal, both honors graduates, are resourceful young people, who will manage quite well without what Mike Gann would term half- _______ surrogate parenting. But my motherly hormones break through now and then. Whenthe international office scheduled Alyssa's physical two hours before she taught her very first class, I told them this was a poor idea. After some resistance, they decided to reschedule.

Above: Alyssa shops for cleaning supplies at a nearby market.

Below: Neal Palmer in the hallway of our residence.

1 comment:

mac said...

Roz: I don't know Neal, of course, but Allyssa has been one of my favorite students over the last couple of years--she took a class I offered and she was part of the English Honors program I direct. Please give her my best. --Michael

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...