Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Juicy Dried Fruit
















The other day, I bit into what a friend had described as a dried persimmon (above). I thought a dried persimmon was a dried fig or prune until juice spurted out and got all over my shirt. In China, even drived fruit doesn't behave as you would expect.

Lots of things are like that. I'd know China was a gift-giving culture, so I brought several dozen small gifts to represent American culture-- baseballs, T-shirts, miniature liberty bells. Thing was, I should have given them out as soon as I got here. I'd been saving them for the end of my visit. David Liu, formerly of the international office here just told me that in China, gift giving helps people bond. I hadn't run across this information in my reading.

Below, at a small shop on the square, a woman prepares a sandwich composed of egg, tofu, green onion and sausage wrapped in a taco like crust.

No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...