Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Someone has a sense of humor.
















Classes have begun (below). The students work very hard. I am teaching advanced writing, but in any EFL (English as a foreign language) class, pictures are important in helping students learn to think in the new language. It helps people associate English words with images rather than Chinese equivalents. So with my portable data projector (above), I am prepared to show a variety of images when I teach.

But buildings are not always wired ideally, and yesterday I couldn't get the equipment to work. I had it hooked up right, I thought. I turned everything off, checked all the connections, rebooted, and it still didn't work. What a shame! I can teach without the technology, but it really helps. As a last resort, I half seriously laid my hands on the data projector and briefly bowed my head. Then the thing started working. A few students giggled. I am definitely not here to propogate religion, and I quickly commenced the lesson. Nevertheless-- someone has a sense of humor!

2 comments:

Dennis and Marie said...

I am not sure about your powers, but I think they will be welcomed back home in TN!!!

quig said...

I think electricity flow slower in China - Dennis will disagree...

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...