Friday, September 29, 2006

Incompatibilities















Joe is here. And I'm delighted. Nevertheless, I will acknowledge that he and I have very different approaches to difficult situations. And China is nth degree difficult.
I took a taxi to the airport, when I went to collect my husband. This cost 90 yuen (about 11 bucks). So I became agitated when, on the return trip, the cabbie drove circuitously through Weihai and the meter approached 150 yuen. "Don't say anything, Roz," counselled my husband, "we can afford it. It's not a big deal." Joe hates scenes. But I hate getting ripped off, and I conveyed my displeasure to the cabbie, in English. He, in turn, conveyed in Chinese, that he would cheerfully deposit us in the isolated area through which we were driving. Using my Chinese cell phone, I called a bi-lingual Chinese friend, who counselled me not to give this driver any more than 100 yuen. I handed my phone to the driver. Don't know what my friend said, but we were at the university gates in short order.
The driver was not pleased with the 100 yuen I gave him, and squacked at me in Chinese. We exited the cab. Using gestures, he conveyed that he would not remove Joe's suitcase from the trunk unless he received more money. I tapped the trunk. He shook his head. Then, I sensed we were being watched. There stood several representatives of the "People's Police," who know me by sight, now. I'd never seen them do anything but wave red flags at traffic. They had never seen me do anything but wave and say "Ni hao." They approached a step closer. Right away, the cabbie opened the trunk and handed us Joe's suitcase, with a big scowl. First time I've enlisted the help of Chinese police.
Joe was still displeased. As I say, he doesn't like scenes. But I think he's over it now. Above, Joe on campus. Below, a Wehai taxi.


5 comments:

mac said...

A fun post, Roz! I must admit, I'm generally more inclined to Joe's mode of operation, but it seems other ways of approaching these things sometimes make the better stories.

Have fun!

Roz Raymond Gann said...

Mike,

I think it's a matter of culture.Mike. Like Joe, you are a Southerner, and as such, you abhor "scenes." I, on the other hand, am a native of New York-- an environment where people are notoriously direct. It continues to amaze me that Joe and I have remained on good terms (mostly) throughout 31 years of marriage.

Ruth W. said...

You go girl!!! After my dealings with the Bank Of NY, I have taken your advice, I'm very tired of being walked over...So,is that a good thing?? I don't know..It's a side of me that has never come out before....Well, after all, I'm suppose to be "Minnesota Nice"

Roz Raymond Gann said...

Ruth,

Nice doesn't work when we're dealing with barracudas. Refusing to be eaten is a very good thing.

Unknown said...

YAY! You got your Joe safe and sound and I have to say you are fierce. I would solve the situation like you, Roz. Sometimes I can be very confrontational when pissed.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...