Monday, September 25, 2006

Green Oranges
















China, as I keep saying, is the other side of the world. I keep encountering things I consider weird. Like the green oranges my friend offered me the other day. Why would an orange be GREEN? It's called an ORANGE for heaven's sake!
While one sees many independent shops, the big supermarkets and department stores are run by the government. Their profits go to the People's Republic of China. We've all read about Communism, but it's still weird to walk into a department store, buy something and realize the profits are going to the Chinese government-- kind of like tolls and taxes.
Above: Green oranges.
Below: The Liquin Market, where many of us shop, owned by the People's Republic.

5 comments:

Ruth W. said...

Don't think I could eat a green orange...it just wouldn't be right..lol

Roz Raymond Gann said...

Green oranges taste pretty much like the orange ones-- they are slightly more tart.

mac said...

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet. . . .

Mysteries of The Orient said...

I taught that line to my English class last week!

Unknown said...

In Czech, the word "orange" has nothing to do with orange color.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...