Thursday, August 10, 2006

Patriot Dreams















To connect with my flight to the states, it was necessary to make an overnight stop in Beijing. I arrived at 2:00 in the afternoon, so there was time for a brief visit to Tianamen Square, site of the 1989 protests. I am told that many Chinese are unaware of what happened, and the videos we have seen of the massacre have been suppressed in China.

In today's Tianamen Square people meet friends, play games, and fly kites. There are many young people. Next to a giant picture of Mao are Chinese words which ironically translate as "People of the Earth unite!" Thousands died in this place in hope of greater freedom.

3 comments:

quig said...

Tianamen Square will always seem like a place of death and destruction to me. You can mask the tyrannie and opression, but until the people of China can write and read blogs nothing much has changed since the death and distruction that I rememeber in Tianamen Square. Pray for freedom and peace for all Gods people..............

Roz Raymond Gann said...

John,

When I stood in Tiananmen Square, I sensed within myself that one day on that sqauare, there will be a monument to those who stood and fought so bravely for freedom.

quig said...

I hope you are right! cheers...

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...