Sunday, July 02, 2006

Pagoda climbing


I am not fond of heights. It's not that I have a phobia-- I just don't seek them out. But when I saw the Baogong Pagoda at the Ling Gu Monastery, I felt obliged to climb it, just as my son Benn feels compelled to run marathons. After all, I've come all the way to China. How could I not climb this structure? It is over 230 feet to the top up a winding stair. At the apex, there's a view of the Nanjing skyline, and misty mountains nearby. I was too exhilarated to feel any ache in my knees. It felt good. Maybe when I return to the States, I'll visit my hometown-- New York-- and climb the Statue of Liberty, which I've never done.

I fight the temptation to overwork. Here, my skills are unusual, and I could spend all my time at our center. But I'm forcing myself to get out, though by nature, I am something of a workaholic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Unknown said...

I am also scared of heights but my worst phobia is darkness. Good job on overcoming your fears, Roz

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...