Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Off my turf















Now and then, I run into a vendor who doesn't want to be bothered dealing with a foreigner. At this outdoor street corner restaurant, the woman tried to push me away when I asked her to sell merice and vegetables. I persisted and was served. After buying lunch from the open pots, one sits beside other diners either inside or outside the restaurant. Momentarily, I was stared at by those at my table. I now manage chopsticks do better than most Americans, but not as well as the Chinese. After awhile, people seemed to get used to me, and I stopped feeling conspicuous. Cost of the very generous meal: 5 reminbi-- about sixty cents.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...