Monday, July 03, 2006

Chinese MacDonald's



I never eat in MacDonald's. The food is too greasy and fattening. But my friend Marie Cope persuaded me to visit the Chinese MacDonald's so I could give a report.
The Chinese have come to love their MacDonald's, which they associate with America. There are the familiar icons of Ronald the clown with his friends and a place for children to play. It appears that young people go there on dates.

In a brilliant marketing manuever, the corporation has altered the food slightly to appeal to the Chinese palate. The chicken sandwich I ordered came on the familiar sesame seed bun, and there was way too much mayonaise. But the chicken itself tasted different-- it was crispy fried as usual, but flavored with Asian spices, so it burnt my mouth. The Coke I ordered was just like back home. My daughter Emily, who once studied marketing, has informed me that products are modified slightly when sent abroad.

An employee asked me why I was taking pictures. When I told my purpose, he thought it was fine. Wanted to know how old I was. People here seem to think I'm ancient-- I think it's harder to guess people's age when their not your own race. An elderly Chinese man tipped his hat to me-- not a usual Asian custom-- and gave me thumbs up. People are really nice here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...