Thursday, June 29, 2006

Sojourning

This stay in China is more sojourn than vacation or trip. I'm into a routine. I rise at 6:30, buy a roll at the bakery across from my hotel, and go to the office at the Oxford English Academy I share with another senior teacher. Then, I work on whatever project Sir Barry has in mind-- schedules, curricula, assessments and so forth. I've never relished administration, but learned to do a certain amount by running grants. I start teaching next week. Late afternoons and evenings are my own. Sometimes I eat out. When I don't want the headache of trying to communicate with restaurant personnel, I pick up fruit at a local stand. Often, I walk at night. On sweltering evenings in Nanjing, people sit out on the street. Air conditioning is not particularly common. I take photos of odd things that strike my fancy, like the outdoor fruit stand in the picture below. The woman was at first suspicious when she saw my camera; then she laughed that anyone would want to take a picture of her and the melons she sells.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...