Sunday, June 25, 2006

English as cultural capital


















At this time in China, it is important to know English well. Ours is the language of computers and other technology. If one is a native speaker of English, one is in demand. Students of literacy call such important "know how" cultural capital. Possessing it is a pathway to success in the society. If one has it, one is in demand. Because I am a native speaker of English, I was invited to the home of the affluent family who live in the apartment pictured here. It's odd to be well-received because I speak English. For me, having English is like having opposable thumbs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...