Monday, July 24, 2017

 Student Load

My course load by Chinese standards, is very light.  I teach one evening class twice a week in which I have thirty students, and I do three additional lectures for graduate students.  I am being spoiled.  Zhang Dianyu AKA Daniel, the man who invited me this summer, has a student load of over a hundred.  As those of you who teach English know, the number of students affects your level of paperwork.  I am being lots of time to do as I please.


Americans working with international students are apt to think the Chines work very hard at their studies.  And it’s mostly true—for the ones who make it to American universities as there is stiff competition.  But here at Shandong University, there there’s a range, though the place is pretty selective.  Sometimes, I have to make threats about homework and order the kids not to take out their cell phones. 


No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...