Tuesday, July 25, 2017

 Unripe Fruit
At first, I thought they were apples, then I noticed the trumpet protuberance.  A colleague confirmed these were pomegranates. At least where I’ve lived, they’re expensive, but they don’t have to be imported in the US-- they can grow in our South. 
I remember seeing pomegranates over fifty years ago on East 28th Street in Brooklyn at the home of Kenyon and San Li Chin, the Chinese kids who lived upstairs from us.   That family ate them often, but I have no idea where they bought them. Grocery stores in South Flatbush were not exotic.

When ripe, pomegranates are bright red, as is its juicy flesh which is studded throughout with seeds.  They are supposed to promote fertility. 


No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...