Monday, July 14, 2014



Harvest from the sea
It has been very hot in Weihai, and taking long walks in the middle of the day is unpleasant. The sun comes up around 4:30, making it difficult for me to sleep, so I’ve decided to do my walking early.  I was on the beach this morning at 5:00.
The tide had brought in a great deal of bright green sea weed, and people were picking through it. I imagine people have done this for centuries. Seaweed is boiled and served with other vegetables. 


Historically, China was a very poor nation, and of necessity people learned prepare what came out of the sea as food.  They eat many unlikely looking things such as the sea urchins pictured below.

No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...