Sunday, July 13, 2014



Setting
Here at the University of Shandong’s Weihai campus I am staying at a reconverted dormitory which now serves as a guest house.  Because I am doing academic work, it suits my purposes much better than would a room at the conference center.  The room is spacious and has excellent Internet access and a flat screen tea which I do not watch.  There are two desks, two chairs and a book case.  Outside my window is a tennis court, and a parking lot where there are frequent military drills.

Ever since the Tiananmen Square incident twenty-five years ago, all entering college students have been required to participate in military training. This is taking place now.  At many hours of the day, I hear  students shouting uplifting slogans as they march around with their flags.    

No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...