Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Markers of Status


Cultures have practical markers of status, which seem silly to an outsider. The Chinese know the importance of where guests sit at a banquet. In universities here, we establish status with titles, parking spots, and access to space.
I am now an associate professor-- a new title. and yesterday, I learned I was being accorded an important marker of status. Two weeks from now, I move to a different office-- one with an outside window. My present office has no window, though it has panels of frosted glass; the office I had at first had once been a closet and was next to the men's room.


5 comments:

Bo said...

In the USAF, my first office was in a B-52 facing backwards. There were no windows and the lights were red so as to facilitate night vision. The panel in front of me was a bank of receivers and radar jammers. Behind that panel was the bomb bay. The toilet (a non-flushing receptacle) was toward the front of the aircraft, directly behind my ejection seat.

Ruth W. said...

wow, a window!!! You sure are coming up in the world..

quig said...

In your building faculty offices are generally on the outside wall, which makes it much easier to have a window. In my building faculty offices are on the inside wall, making it problematic to have view of the outside....congratulations on your promotion, tenure, and window...

Tao said...

You sure have a windowed office, however, it seems like a ”reflection“ of the world around you.

mac said...

Congrats on your new room with a view, Roz!

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...