Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Location, location, location.

The studio apartment where I was staying was spacious, by Chinese standards. There was a microwave oven, a refrigerator, and even a
little washing machine in the bathroom. There was a gate keeper at the entrance on the first floor, and another off the main courtyard.
Downstairs,there was an ornamental arch, a well stocked gold fish pond, and a wooden bridge. But I felt very isolated, for the place was several miles from the office, and the high rise apartment was very anonymous.
I longed for the tiny hotel room on shizi qiaoLion Bridge Road), where I lived two summers ago. Lion Bridge Road is a "walking street," where vehicles are not permitted, where you get to know people. Today, I moved, and I feel a lot better.
Pictures: Courtyard of the high rise apartment house; Dinner with
Lishi Yanmeng (Tim), an old friend who works near Lion Bridge Road.

4 comments:

quig said...

glad you got re-situated!!!

Roz Raymond Gann said...

Yes, it's much better!

Bo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bo said...

May you have speedy success in improving Chinese.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...