Saturday, May 31, 2008

Learning to Learn

Because the Chinese language is so different from our own, it's extraordinarily difficult for the native speaker of English. The Chinese begin their English studies early and take it all through school.
Nevertheless, I'm making progress. The Chinese are gracious to foreigners to begin with; they are even more gracious to those who would learn their language.Some of the restauranteurs and cab drivers actually understand my monosyllabic statements these days, and the other day, I actually followed directions given in Chinese. The people
in my apartment house try out their limited English vocabulary on me, and I try out my limited Chinese on them.
I walk around with a notebook and attempt to copy characters off walls. Bonnie (above) is a most tolerant teacher. She is helping me learn to use the Chinese software on my computer. The chalkboard writing in school is very useful to me at this stage.

Here is my Chinese name, Gan Mei


No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...