Thursday, June 05, 2008

The Challenge of Posting

Posting to a blog poses some challenges over here. Without my good friend Dennis Cope, I could not do it, though I now have some special software which allows me to see my blog once it's posted-- at least for now. Infrastructure is one problem. I send the material to Dennis via gmail, and he posts it. The connections are not always that well established. But a second issue is what they call "information control." Internet postings can be seen by authorities and are not always considered suitable.

This is not only a Chinese issue-- the US government monitors overseas emails, though this is controversial. In an age of terrorism, it is not a simple issue, though as an American and Civil Libertarian, I am something of a privacy freak.

No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...