Monday, June 23, 2008

Lie Fallow


My husband Joe has arrived. He is tired and jet lagged, but it's wonderful to have him here.
While waiting for his plane, I prowled the Nanjing Airport. All around, there are signs in English, but not of the sort native speakers use. My favorite was a sign on an electronic game area which offered diversion to those just waiting around. It read, "Lie fallow amusement."

It is too easy to dismiss such expressions as "Chinglish." English is now international, and it is used differently in different parts of the globe. There is broad variation in pronunciation and idiomatic usage. Many of my fellow English teachers hail from England, Australia, South Africa. I sound nothing like them.

It is a wonderful thing that we have an international language. But when English is used in different parts of the globe, we may expect to hear expressions we would not at home.

5 comments:

Bo said...

Roz,

So happy that Joe made it OK.

About that sign, it gave me inspiration as to what I'm going to do today. I'm going to "Lie Fallow." Sounds perfect.

Speaking of speaking, compared to Dennis, I definitely do not speak with an English accent. My accent is not spanglish or chinglish, certainly. I will call it northeastennglish.

Bo

Anonymous said...

Hello from Wales! I'm sure you wouldn't understand my accent. You wrote "It is a wonderful thing that we have an international language." There is nothing wrong with English, but I would like to argue the case for Esperanto as the international language. This is a planned language which belongs to no one country or group of states.

Take a look at www.esperanto.net

Esperanto works! I've used it in speech and writing in a dozen countries over recent years.

Good wishes!

Roz Raymond Gann said...

Hi Bill Chapman:

Thanks for reading this blog.

I'd like to hear more about your experience with Esperanto. From what I have read, it is not in wide enough use to really function as an international language. Does your experience suggest otherwise?

When English functions as the international language, there is undoubtedly a troubling element of linguistic imperialism. Then again, Esperanto does have a Latinate and Indo-European bias from what I am told.

Do email me if you would like to continue this conversation. (I've been to Wales and could probably understand your accent with a little practice.)

Anonymous said...

This is a quick note to confirm the contention that Esperanto has now become a living language.

Interestingly, also, Esperanto has been nominated,by eight British MP's for the Nobel Peace Prize 2008

You might like to check on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YHALnLV9XU

Anonymous said...

This is a quick note to confirm the contention that Esperanto has now become a living language.

Interestingly, also, Esperanto has been nominated,by eight British MP's for the Nobel Peace Prize 2008

You might like to check on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YHALnLV9XU

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...