Saturday, June 21, 2008

Would you feed popcorn to this panda?



Back home I often eat oatmeal for breakfast. Rice porridge, which the Chinese call zhou or congee is a good alternative. Except, I can't always convince the people at KFC it's what I want. They KNOW an American eats hamburgers, just as everyone knows pandas eat bamboo.Why would you feed an American zhou? Would you feed popcorn to a panda? It takes awhile to convince them I know what I'm asking for.

Americans have the misconception that hamburgers should be made of beef. The Chinese know otherwise. Hamburgers here consist of any edible foodstuff embedded in a soft bun. A Chinese "hamburger" can bebeef, egg, pork or fish. Even vegetables might work.
This panda prefers zhou, thank you, at least for breakfast.

2 comments:

Bo said...

Went to KFC today with a printed copy of the hot OJ picture you put in you blog a while back. We took a picture to compare your wrap with that of a wrap in JC, TN.
I've been using your pictures to make points on my 6th grade website. Check it out.
http://www.wcde.org/education/staff/staff.php?sectiondetailid=2693

Roz Raymond Gann said...

I looked at your website. It is very exciting to be part of an educational process like this. Kids need to become aware that not everyone our planet is the same.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...