Saturday, June 14, 2008

It's a Wide and Wonderful Blogosphere.

Recently, Sir Barry Jowett got a call from someone in Tamania inquiring about his pink hat. Sir Barry is the CEO of Nanjing's Oxford English Academy and Kongzi Academy. I have seen him with a hat only once-- two years ago, and the hat was mine. I snapped Barry's picture in connection with a humorous office incident. The image has been up on the web ever since.


It's a good picture, I think, and the accompanying text describes Barry as the polite, decent and conscientious man that he is. But from time to time, Barry has good-naturedly threatened to start a blog of his own, so he can post pictures of me when I haven't combed my hair. It would be easy enough to do. Private idiosyncrasies become public on blogs.

Blog entries pop up when a name is entered into Google. I often point out to students that sites such as Blogspot, Myspace, and Facebook are not limited and local; the web is truly world wide. Sometimes, we treat blogs as round robin letters for a select group of our friends, imagining that no one will want to read about us. Potentially at least, blogs have a global audience, and people read what we write for all sorts of reasons.

1 comment:

Bo said...

That is bad news. I thought that nothing detrimental could ever happen by blogging. Who knew that when we venture out into the world bad things could happen?

Oh, I almost forgot. Happy Fathers Day to all you fathers out there in the world and universe and beyond!!!

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...