Sunday, June 08, 2008

It Takes a Village-- Maybe a City

If you total up the time I spent in Nanjing two years ago, add the semester in Weihai, the two week trip I made here in March of '07, and the two weeks since my arrival, I've spent a total of eight months in China. I'm just now beginning to acquire Chinese-- but consider: how much English did any of us know at eight months of age.

I am starting to talk, much as babies do. I say isolated words such as "soup," "cold water," "dragon boats," and "blanket." I have not acquired this language's syntax. I make brilliant statements such "I go taxi," "see noodles," and "take picture." When I was here in '06, the natives had not a clue what I was saying, for I had no feel for the tonal system. Now, people are starting to understand. Relatively few Westerners attempt Chinese, and the locals are extremely gracious to those who do. I find if I approach people properly, they help me learn Chinese. You remember those inane little sentences we learned in our French and Spanish classes: "Where are the batteries?" "Here is a taxi,""Show me the light switch, please," -- this is the level at which I am functioning.

The process takes time, but when I think about it, things are not going badly. When I was eight months old in America, I doubt I had enough English to tell a taxi driver where I wanted to go.















Think of all that can be said about a bowl of soup:

This is a bowl of soup.
The vegetables are in the soup.
This soup has eggs and mushrooms.
The noodles are in the soup.
The soup is hot.
Here is a soup spoon.
I, you, he, she, we, they, eat the soup.

1 comment:

Bo said...

Roz...

I would love to know what all is in the soup. My students would like to know what it is and how it tastes. Keep posting stuff like this. It's great!

YoBo

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...