Wednesday, June 11, 2008

拉橙子? Hot orange juice?

That's right, folks. If you visit the Colonel here, you get HOT orange juice.

Other than the Starbuck's downtown, KFC is the only place around here where you can get a good cup of coffee. But in China things work 80% of the time at most, and the coffee machine was down. A drink came with my meal, so they gave me orange juice, which they proudly served piping hot. The Chinese believe cold drinks are bad for our health.
Normally, they drink water hot. Coke can be purchased in many restaurants, but most people look askance at it.

As I gazed at the steaming hot cup of orange juice, I had a very ethnocentric reaction-- the kind I warn students against. I started laughing. The waitress apologized, and I assured her it was OK in my minimal Chinese.

But as I sat down, I reflected on this country, which is trying so hard to become a world power. I saw children outside the window. I felt sorry for people brought up to believe in hot orange juice. Deep in my soul, I must believe that boiling orange juice is inherently bad for a nation, like one party rule. My morning juice has been cooling for several hours now. Maybe I'll actually drink it.














orange juice prepared by the Chinese Colonel

2 comments:

Bo said...

Stories of a lifetime, they are just one reason we travel and learn and marvel....YoBo.

Tao said...

What is “拉”?It is a verb, meaning "pull","haul" or "drag". People may say "把门拉开"(bamenlakai,Pull open the door); sometimes the word may also mean to "discharge( human wastes, a bullet)".
Do you want to pull open the cap of the bottle of orange juice,or,to discharge the orange juice you have drunk?
I am kidding.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...