Thursday, April 19, 2007

Know thy neighbor

Like many of my fellow bloggers, I have been thinking a lot about the massacre at Virginia Tech. I think we all agree that there is no foolproof way to insure safety in a society as complex as ours. Often, when tragedy occurs, we think of the mechanical things we can do to protect ourselves:check points, security cameras, better locks. And sometimes these are appropriate. But I can't help thinking that real security comes from community.



The Bible says we should love our neighbors as ourselves. Can you love other people without knowing them? I'm a tolerant person, so I don't actually hate other people; but half the time, I don't know who my neighbors students and colleagues are. I'm busy, and I respect the privacy of others. I don't want to be a snoop. This is mutual. But taken too an extreme, this attitude leads to a breakdown of community.


Last weekend, when Joe was away, I attended worship at St. Mary's Catholic Church with my friend Charlotte. I found I knew some of the people there-- I just didn't know them in this context. I learned that one of my former students (above), now a first grade teacher, is in the Knights of Columbus. I had heard of this Catholic service organization, but had no idea what it did until I researched it online after the service. I ran into my colleague, Dr. Lee Daniels, seen below with his daughter.


Often, when we speak of building community, we think of creating it within our own circles of church, school, neighborhood, and workplace. But in a complex world, we have to reach beyond. \

2nd below: scene from St. Mary's Church.



3 comments:

nbta said...

Sadly, we live in a world that desires to keep it's distance from their neighbors. We are so afraid that we may offend or step on someones toes, that we keep to ourselves and refuse to make ourselves known to others. I hope that we rebel against this new found freedom to be enslaved to self and reach out to all those God gives us the ability to meet and become their neighbor.

Ruth W. said...

that is very difficult to do up in those Northern States.

quig said...

so, what is this? Roz's Once a Month Blog!! I have seen you since this or I would be worried... john

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...