Sunday, May 27, 2007

Reentry continues















My last trip to China was over two months ago. I'd been told "reentry" went on a long time, but I thought it would have been over by now. Reentry has combined with the exhaustion generated by a full year of teaching, two thirds of it in China, and not much down time in between. I miss my friends in China, with whom I exchange frequent emails, but I'm very glad to be home. Every day, I take a walk and enjoy the mountains, or else swim at the Bassler Center. I poke my head in the office from time to time. When I go for a drive, I still notice our printed in English, not Chinese.

Ritual events such as the Cherokee Church Quilt show help enable reentry. Last week, I began writing an article based on research I did with David Liu comparing American and Chinese styles of teaching reading. It takes a very long time to reenter America.

Above: Ruth visited from Minnesota and helped keep the quilt show organized.
Below: Prize winning quilts.






1 comment:

quig said...

Great, thanks for the blog and the journey toward reentry!!! john

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...