Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Open Doors

















In a recent response to John Quigley's blog, Dennis Cope mentions that in England, churches are open for prayer even when no one is around. It's sometimes hard for us to do this here in America, but I appreciate it when congregations make the effort.

Many years ago when I wasn't sure what I thought about God, I did not feel "entitled" to attend a Christian service. I worked at a bookstore in Greenwich Village one summer, and the Church of the Ascension (above) was nearby. It was open 24 hours a day. I used to go there to think. There was always a caretaker around, and of course the congregation spent money on this, but I'm glad they did. I'll never forget that place.

2 comments:

mac said...

Thanks for these posts, Roz, the one on the open-door churches and the one on VT. I haven't said anything about the disaster in my classes, nor have I even looked into Monday's events much. I've thought about the folks there and and prayed for them, but that's about all the energy I've been able to spare. I feel bad about that. Maybe if I had a church open 24 hours (in a row) I could do like you and go there to think.

quig said...

After church on Easter Sandy and I need something from the grocery store. She said let's stop at Food City and I said oh, they won't be open on Easter.... boy, was I wrong, not only open, but very busy..... so was the golf course..... I have thought constantly since Monday about the tragedy of a society that keeps its golf courses and grocery stores open on Easter and its churches locked durning the week and the fact that we are insensitive to the needs of those around us because we are too busy and too involved in ourselves. We must continually be on the alert for the signs of struggle within each other, pray for paece in our souls and be watchful for the signs of a troubled soul. God bless you all, thank you Roz for these two posts, and Michael are you okay? love, john

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...