Saturday, March 31, 2007

What do I call you?














In a recent comment, John Quigley inquired if our Dean "made" us call him Dr. Knight. The answer: don't be silly. We are Americans, and we are adults. Our culture is extremely informal when it comes to names and titles. But we were influenced by the practices of the Chinese, who are much more formal than we. I couldn't call my Dean 'Hal' if I addressed a host as 'Mr.' or 'Professor.' Social behavior is contagious in this way.
American informality is likely confusing to those unfamiliar with our culture. In China, there are all sorts of markers of rank such as titles and uniforms.
Formal occasions: a ceremonial signing (above); ceremonial banquets (below).














2 comments:

Ruth W. said...

So which do you think is better? I work in a hospital and have known some of the Drs for many years, but I just can not call them by their first name. They have told me I can, but I feel they have earned the title. Maybe I just like titles

Unknown said...

Roz, us Czechs we are also very formal. Did you notice? Plus, I asked you if I could call you Roz in face-to-face interaction because you kept signing your emails as "Roz"

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...