Friday, November 10, 2006

Students















I'm getting to know the students better, a very interesting group who come mostly from rural backgrounds and are often the first in their families toattend university. They have high hopes, and in a nation that turns out graduates faster than it creates opportunities, they study hard. To get here at all, they had to be talented.

Students interested in English may attend "English Corner" an informal two hour gathering providing conversational practice. While students approach my office hours in terror, they enjoy the informal atmosphere of English corner. Again and again, I am asked to give private lessons, and I always decline. My time means more to me than any money I could earn. The students have taken English since elementary school and need conversational practice.So I make a deal with the students: they can join me on outings to the grocery store, bus rides to the bank, and excursions to the ticket office.Along the way, we speak English.

Above: Students at last week's English corner.

No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...