Sunday, November 05, 2006

Place of worship















The house church meets in my friend's apartment later today. I was asked to provide some baked goods. It had been months since I baked, and I got a little carried away. My fellow worshippers will have to take home some of the output.
I have mixed feelings about house churches. They are cozy, and in a country where public churches are subject to surveillance, they offer a sense of privacy. But house churches can become cliquish. There is the ever-present danger of the church's deteriorating into a social club.
Above: A portion of the baked goods I produced this morning
Below: The women from the house church assemble for tea and coffee at a shop downtown.

No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...