Sunday, November 05, 2006

Government Security












At the moment, my Yahoo email is mysteriously blocked. My ETSU email and this gmail also go down periodically. Marie Cope sounded worried about me last time I talked to her. Not to worry-- occasionally Americans are deported, but nothing worse. Most deportees are evangelical missionaries who fail to respect government policies regulating their activities. I'm sure I have "observers" in my classes, and occasionally our Dean tells me he enjoyed my class when he listened invisibly at the door! To be fair, I've known American principals who did that. A number of my students are members of the Communist Party. The latter will ask me about my views. One party "boss"-- a student in my faculty seminar-- inquired if I knew what Marxism was! I replied, I told hime this was part of being educated, and he beamed. I try to be discrete about what I say in class. II can say almost anything if I preface a remark with, "This is obviously not a Chinese perspective, but in my country, we think..."
Foreign teachers are segregated in a special residence-- a very pleasant building with spacious apartments. We pass a desk when we enter the building, and I'm told personnel keep careful track of our movements. Anyone who visits us-- students or friends-- must complete several pieces of paperwork each time. This is done for "security." My Chinese friends don't see why the tracking of visitors upsets me. They are fascinated when I explain the American concept of privacy. I don't think they understand it unless they've spent time in the West.
Above: The symbol of Tiananmen Square.

No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...