Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Open Minds

More than ever, I appreciate Cherokee Church (below).






There's a reason why I am a United Methodist.
House churches abound in this community. I attend one, and we occasionally go to a larger church downtown. The latter is heavily regulated by the government.

I miss my Sunday School class, where we carefully reflect on the issues of the day rather than seeking over-simplified solutions from the Bible. I miss David's thoughtful preaching. Most of the church-goers I know here are Fundamentalists. Though flexible enough to deal with China, they are theologically right wing. Generally, we respect each other, though the differences sometimes make for awkwardness.
Every time I open the Cherokee website, I am touched by this slogan: Open Doors, Open Minds, Warm Hearts
.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow this must have been so hard, Roz.

Unknown said...

Also, I cannot imagine that through worship at church I could not relate to God. I think it would make me cry when in my heart this type of relating to God in this church would rub me a wrong way. I would be so unhappy if I could not express on the outside at church that I am having a theological struggle with God himself/herself, for example because I would be advised to be obedient, for example. I could not do it.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...