Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Abacus















Generally, the calculator has replaced the abacus in Chinese shops, but I saw one in use the other day while shopping for slacks with a colleague.
It's very hard for me to get fitted-- though my weight has dropped, I'm not built like a Chinese woman. My friend and colleague Han, a professor of computer science, knew just where to go. I purchased three pairs of slacks, very trendy, for just over 200 yuen (about $25). The pants had to be shortened, but alterations were done on the spot at no extra charge.















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have two abacus.....

Roz Raymond Gann said...

Can you use them? The clerk I observed used it as efficiently as a calculator.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...