Saturday, September 23, 2006

Please look after this bear.

When I want to go off campus, I hail a cab and hand the driver a note in Chinese, telling my destination. I get the graduate assistants to write these out for me. It's a good system, but I feel really stupid, handing people notes I can't read. I think of Paddington Bear, a little brown teddy who was found in Paddington station with a note attached, "Please look after this bear."
I like to be in control, and in this place it is impossible. Minor shopping trips for items like staples or a dustpan are challenges. I have to rely on observation and prayer. Don't think I could manage here without faith. I have to depend on someone. I have a different attitude toward statements and symbols of faith. Even familiar hymns that I've heard a hundred times make me weepy. I happened upon this Lord of the Dance site the other day, and I started to bawl.
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/l/o/r/lordoftd.htm

Below: A small market in the campus shopping area. None of its staff speak English


2 comments:

Mysteries of The Orient said...

Hi Rox, here is the link to my blog, finally.

Unknown said...

OHHH, Roz you were so homesick! It is understandable. I bet you could not wait for Joe to come. Also from what it sounds like the worst thing for you was to feel helpless due to language barrier. It must have been so hard for someone like you who is a professor and a person of authority and lots of knowledge. I sang Lord of the Dance in my voice lesson in 2005. That was so long ago. Now I sing Barbara Streisand.

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...