Sunday, July 23, 2006

What you're used to















This weekend, Joe and I caught a train to the ancient city of Suzhou, a very beautiful place. This was our first experience on Chinese rail, which is fairly comfortable-- similar to an airline. The waiting room at Suzhou was a new experience. People ate, played games, slept, and generally "hung out." The restrooms were also something new. Instead of the conventional Asian toilet-- something I've grown to expect-- there was a communal trough into which all lavatory users contributed. I didn't take a picture-- it was just too gross. Hope you aren't disappointed. Above, a woman selling lotus stems in the "Humble Administrator's Garden." Below, travelers play a board game in the Suzhou Railway Station.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Roz, are you gonna blog about Czech toilets too? :) I was shocked by the american toilets my first time in 1999. I thought they all had plumming problem. But it ia all good now. And you should have taken a picture of those toilets in the Chineese city you visited. I feel I am missing out:)

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...