Friday, June 16, 2006

What We Have Here is a Failure to Communicate
















This morning, I went to a restaurant and asked for a bowl of rice and some tea. My emergent Chinese is mostly incomprehensible to the locals. I received spaghetti with vegetables and a bowl of warm milk.

Really tough communicating in this culture.

Not everyone involved with my coming here uses the English alphabet well. I understood I was to come to 'Nanning.' Only when I arrived at the wrong airport did I figure out that someone involved with the invitation got the spelling wrong by one letter-- I was supposed to be in Nanjing, hundreds of miles away. For a time, I was lost in a country where I don't speak the language and don't even know the alphabet. The airline people were very helpful, and I am now working at the Oxford Academy of English in Nanjing, a city of 7 million (see below.)

No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...