Monday, July 03, 2017

Jet lag

 The time here in China is 12 hours earlier than in the Eastern time zone, so day has become night and night day.  This is true on all trips to China, but there were complications this time. Our 4:30 pm flight from Dulles took off three hours late. As a result, I missed my connecting flight and had three hours’ sleep in an airline-provided flea bag hotel. Two nights with almost no sleep.


Jet lag goes away in time.  As with hangovers, there isn’t any real cure for jet lag, though Internet sites hawk melatonin and lavender oil. Usually, I force myself to stay active during the day and lie down after dark when I get here.  This time, I’ve been too tired.
Yesterday, I slept after church.  At 6pm, I was too exhausted to face the dining hall, and even at 9 pm, I was too tired to go out.  The maids left some dried salted green peas when they made up my room, so I ate them for supper with several cups of boiled water.



No comments:

What does tomorrow mean? It is 5:30 pm here, but at home it’s 5:00 in the morning. I leave Weihai tomorrow and make a stop in Beijing. ...